March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 07 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 07. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 07 March:
- 1723: Mauprèche 1723 rebellion begins in Chile.
- 1774: Britain’s Boston Port closed for all commercial activity.
- 1798: French forces invade the Papal States and establish the Roman Republic.
- 1875: The telegraph was invented by Alexander Graham Bell.
- 1887: North Carolina State University Carolina established as a college of agricultural and mechanic arts.
- 1906: Finland gets women the right to vote.
- 1911: Famous Hindi writer Sachchidananda Hiranand Vatsyayan Agyeya was born in Uttar Pradesh.
- 1916: German automobile company BMW is founded in Munich.
- 1918: French composer Claude Debbst died in Paris due to colorectal cancer.
- 1939: Armand Calinisu becomes Prime Minister of Romania.
- 1952: Sir Vivian Richders, the all-rounder of the West Indies, was born. He has 8,540 runs and 32 wickets in 121 Tests and 6,721 runs and 118 wickets in 187 ODIs.
- 1959: American pilot Melvin C. Garlov became the first pilot to cover a million miles from jets.
- 1961: Famous freedom fighter and senior leader Govind Ballabh Pant died.
- 1969: Israel elected 70-year-old Golda Mayer as Prime Minister.
- 1985: The first antibody test of AIDS, the ELISA-type test was started.
- 1995: Dollar reaches a record high of 1.5330 CE guilders.
- 2009: NASA released a telescope named Kepler from Cape Canaveral into space to explore Earth-like planets and life on them.
- 2010: 82nd Academy Award: “Hurt Locker”, won by Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock.
- 2015: 54 people were killed and 143 were injured in five suicide bombings of terrorist organization Boko Haram in Maiduguri City, Nigeria.
- 2015: 54 people were killed and 143 injured in a suicide bombing in the town of Maiduguri, Igeria.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1734: Mir Nizam Ali Khan, Asaf Jah II, the 2nd Nizam of Hyderabad State.
- 1765: Nicephore Niepce, a French inventor.
- 1792: Sir John Herschel, an English polymath.
- 1849: Luther Burbank, an American botanist, horticulturist, and pioneer in agricultural science.
- 1911: Sachchidananda Vatsyayan, an Indian writer, poet, and novelist.
- 1934: Nari Contractor, a former cricket player.
- 1945: T. V. Sankaranarayanan, a Carnatic vocalist.
- 1949: Ghulam Nabi Azad, an Indian politician.
- 1952: Sir Vivian Richards, West Indies cricketer.
- 1955: Anupam Kher, an Indian actor.
- 1969: Sadhana Sargam, an Indian singer.
- 1973: Arnab Goswami, an Indian journalist, who is the managing director and editor-in-chief of the Republic Media Network.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1647: Dadoji Konddev, He was the teacher of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- 1952: Paramahansa Yogananda, an Indian monk, yogi and guru.
- 1961: Govind Ballabh Pant, an Indian freedom fighter and one of the architects of modern India.
- 1974: T. T. Krishnamachari, former Indian Finance Minister.
- 1993: Ezra Mir, an Indian film-maker, known for his documentary films.
- 2012: Ravi Shankar Sharma, an Indian music director.