March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 09 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 09. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 09 March:
- 1454: Italy stroller sailor Amerigo Vespucci is born. Today, America is named America because of their name Amerigo.
- 1701: France, Cologne and Bavaria combine.
- 1741: The British fleet under Admiral Ogg begins an attack on Cartagena.
- 1745: First American payroll sent from England to Boston.
- 1796: Widow Josephine de Beauharnais married General Napoleon Bonaparte.
- 1822: Charles Egg Graham patented fake teeth for the first time.
- 1822: Charles Graham of New York grants the first US patent for denture.
- 1860: Japan appoints its ambassador to America for the first time.
- 1860: The first Japanese embassy of the United States is established in San Francisco.
- 1888: Frederick III became Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia.
- 1896: Italian Prime Minister Francisco Crispi resigns in response to national outrage over defeat at Adva.
- 1915: Heinfiber, a special life of biology, died. Who offered the view that ground insects and animals benefit from the system found in their tendency to protect themselves.
- 1934: Nazi Germany prohibits publication of The Rise of Catherine the Great, because its star and director were Jewish.
- 1946: Juho Kusti Pasikivin becomes President of Finland.
- 1951: Renowned Indian tabla player Ustad Zakir Hussain was born.
- 1951: United Artist releases Sci-One, the film The Man of Planet X in the United States.
- 1961: Successful launch of the Russian spacecraft Sputnik 9 with ‘Dummy Man’.
- 1976: 42 people died in a cable car accident in Kavalesse, Germany.
- 1977: In the US capital Washington, the Hanafi Muslim group attacked three buildings and held 149 people hostage, killing two.
- 1983: Anne Burford resigns as head of the United States Environmental Protection Agency due to defamation.
- 1994: Indian actress Devika Rani died.
- 1999: Swaraj Pal, a British industrialist, was awarded an honorary doctorate by Central Birmingham University.
- 2004: 2000 km by Pakistan. Successfully tested the surface-to-surface ‘Shaheen-2’ (Hatf-6) missile.
- 2012: Film actor and producer director Joy Mukherjee passed away.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1454: Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian merchant, explorer, and navigator.
- 1824: Amasa Leland Stanford, an American industrialist, and politician. He is the founder of Stanford University.
- 1836: Navalram Pandya, a Gujarati critic, playwright, poet, essayist, editor, educationist, and a social reformer.
- 1934: Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet Air Forces pilot and cosmonaut who became the first human to journey into outer space.
- 1943: Robert Fischer, an American chess grandmaster.
- 1951: Ustad Zakir Hussain, an Indian tabla player.
- 1956: Shashi Tharoor, an Indian politician, writer, and former international diplomat.
- 1985: Parthiv Patel, an Indian cricketer.