March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10 March:
- 1735: An agreement is signed between Nadir Shah and Paul I of Russia and the withdrawal of Russian troops from Banja.
- 1801: First census in Great Britain.
- 1831: French Foreign Army was established.
- 1847: First coin minted in Hawaii.
- 1861: Mrs. Polin Johnson, a female poet of Canada, was born. She was born in the faction of the Rand Indian caste which had to migrate to Canada from the US.
- 1872: Maulana Ubaidullah Sindhi, a leader of India’s independence movement, was born. He started the silk movement but this movement failed.
- 1876: American inventor Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone and to this day, the first successful telephone conversation took place between Graham Bell and his colleague Watson.
- 1897: Social worker and famous poet Savitri Bai Phule, the pioneer of women’s education, died.
- 1906: 1,060 killed in a French coal mine explosion
- 1922: Mahatma Gandhi was sent to jail for six years after his arrest in a sedition case.
- 1929: Egyptian government gives women limited divorce rights.
- 1937: Jersey Airport opened in Channel Island.
- 1945: During World War II, American warplanes fiercely bombed Japan’s capital Tokyo. Due to which about 1 lakh ordinary citizens of Tokyo were killed.
- 1946: 1855 people died in a train accident in Brazil.
- 1960: Eight people were taken out of the Agadir wreck, 12,000 dead in Morocco, ten days after the deadly earthquake.
- 1985: India won the Bension and Hedges Cricket World Cup.
- 2003: North Korea tests cruise missile.
- 2006: 26 people killed in landmine blast in Quetta city of Pakistan.
- 2008: Congress leader DD Lapang was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1873: Maulana Shaukat Ali, an Indian Muslim leader of the Khilafat Movement.
- 1929: Mangesh Padgaonkar, a Marathi poet from Maharashtra, India.
- 1939: Asghar Ali Engineer, an Indian reformist-writer and social activist.
- 1945: Madhavrao Scindia, an Indian politician.
- 1957: Osama bin Ladin, a founder of the pan-Islamic militant organization al-Qaeda.
- 1970: Omar Abdullah, an Indian politician.
- 1974: Biz Stone, an American entrepreneur who is the co-founder of Twitter.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1872: Giuseppe Mazzini, Italian revolutionary.
- 1897: Savitribai Phule, an Indian social reformer, educationalist, and poet from Maharashtra.
- 1940: Mikhail Bulgakov, a Russian writer, medical doctor, and playwright.
- 1971: Appasaheb Patwardhan, Known as Gandhi of Konkan.
- 1985: Konstantin Chernenko, a Soviet politician.
- 1999: Vi Va Shirvadkar, pen name Kusumagraj, an eminent Marathi poet, playwright, novelist, and short-story writer.