March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 11 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 11. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 11 March:
- 1669: The Etna volcano erupts in Italy, killing 15,000 people.
- 1689: Aurangzeb murders Sambhaji, son of Shivaji.
- 1702: Publication of “Daily Courant”, the first English daily newspaper started.
- 1779: For the first time, the US Army established the Corps of Engineers.
- 1795: Battle of Kurdal India: Maharat defeated Mogol.
- 1810: Napoleon marries Marie-Louise of Austria.
- 1823: Concord Academy, Concord, VT, the first general school opened in the United States.
- 1881: The statue of Ramnath Tagore was installed in the town hall of Calcutta (now Kolkata). She is the first Indian to be enshrined in the town hall.
- 1895: 400 passengers die after the Spanish ship Reina Regenta sinks in Gibraltar.
- 1912: The Minors Federation of Great Britain initiates a meeting with the Prime Minister.
- 1931: David Sámanez became President of Ocampo Peru.
- 1945: Burma rescues Mamte, the 36th division of the British.
- 1948: The country’s first modern vessel Jal Usha was launched in Visakhapatnam.
- 1955: Sir Alexander Fleming is awarded the 73 Scottish Scientist, Nobel Prize in Medicine.
- 1978: A terrorist attack in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv killed 45 people.
- 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev, the first and last president of the Soviet Union, becomes the supreme leader of the Soviet Union.
- 1985: Mohammed al-Faid bought Harrods, a London-based department store company.
- 1998: Danish parliamentary elections 1998: Prime Minister Pul Nyarup Rasmussen is re-elected.
- 1999: Infosys Company is the first Indian company to appear on the Nasdaq International Stock Exchange list.
- 2001: Pullela Gopichand became the world champion in badminton.
- 2004: A series of bomb blasts on the rail network in Spain’s capital Madrid killed 191 people.
- 2007: Sunita Chakraborty completes 2,012 km journey from Kolkata to Wagah in reverse gear in seven days.
- 2008: 26 people were killed in two suicide blasts in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2011: Thousands of people died in Japan due to earthquake and tsunami, and Fukushima nuclear plant accident.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1840: Dwijendranath Tagore, an Indian poet, musician, philosopher, and mathematician.
- 1863: Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the Maharaja of Baroda.
- 1915: Vijay Hazare, Former an Indian cricketer.
- 1916: Harold Wilson, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1942: Captain Amarinder Singh, an Indian politician and military historian serving as the 15th and current Chief Minister of Punjab.
- 1966: Mohit Chauhan, an Indian playback singer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1689: Sambhaji Bhosale, the second ruler of the Maratha kingdom.
- 1955: Sir Alexander Fleming, a Scottish physician, and microbiologist.
- 1957: Richard Byrd Jr., an American naval officer, and explorer.
- 1965: Gaurishankar Govardhanram Joshi, pen name Dhumaketu, an Indian Gujarati-language writer.
- 1971: Philo Farnsworth, an American inventor and television pioneer.