March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 March:
- 1609: The island of Bermuda, located in the Atlantic Ocean, became a colony of the British.
- 1612: Death due to severe injury after Usman Khan Lohani, the last independent Afghan ruler of Bengal, was defeated in Nekuzayal’s war.
- 1734: Salzburgers arrive near the Savannah River in the British Colony of Georgia.
- 1737: Galileo’s body is brought to the Church of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy.
- 1755: In America, the first steam engine was used to extract water from the mine.
- 1755: First steam locomotive built in America.
- 1884: The first female American state college was established in Mississippi.
- 1894: Coca-Cola begins to be sold in bottles for the first time.
- 1913: Yashwantrao Chavan, the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra and the fifth Deputy Prime Minister of the country was born after the bifurcation of the state of Bombay.
- 1927: The adventure film Theodding Rogue starring John Barrymore was published.
- 1928: 600 people died due to floods caused by the breaking of the St. Francis Dam in California.
- 1930: Mahatma Gandhi started the Dandi March from the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad. The aim was to ‘break the salt law’ made by the British.
- 1930: Mahatma Gandhi started a “sea march” in defiance of the salt tax in India.
- 1948: Costa Rican civil war began.
- 1954: Finland and Germany officially end the war situation.
- 1968: Mauritius gained independence from British rule.
- 1970: The minimum voting age in the US was reduced from 21 years to 18 years.
- 1984: Bollywood singer Shreya Ghoshal was born.
- 1993: There were 13 bomb blasts in Mumbai in which 257 people were killed and 800 people were injured. This day is known as Black Friday in the history of India.
- 1993: 1993 Bombay bombing: Many bomb blasts occurred in Bombay in India, killing 257 people and injuring hundreds.
- 2008: US Air Force removes world’s first stealth fighter aircraft F-117 from its fleet.
- 2008: World’s longest-serving woman, Warva Semenikova, died in Russia at the age of 117.
- 2011: One of the nuclear disasters occurred in Fukushima, Japan.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1824: Gustav Kirchhoff, a German physicist.
- 1833: Baburao Shedmake, an Indian pro-independence rebel and a Gond chieftain from Central India.
- 1911: Dayanand Balkrishna Bandodkar, the first Chief Minister of Goa, Daman, and Diu.
- 1913: Yashwantrao Chavan, an Indian politician. He served as the last Chief Minister of Bombay State and the first of Maharashtra.
- 1964: Falguni Pathak, an Indian singer.
- 1984: Shreya Ghoshal, an Indian playback singer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1942: Robert Bosch, a German industrialist, engineer, and inventor.
- 1960: Kshitimohan Sen, an Indian scholar.
- 1999: Yehudi Menuhin, an American violinist.
- 2001: Robert Ludlum, an American author.
- 2013: Ganesh Pyne, an Indian painter, and draughtsman.