March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 March:
- 1759: Perilation passage of Haley’s comet on the 27th orbit was interpreted
- 1772: Gotthold Lessing’s “Emilia Gallotti” premieres in Brunswick
- 1774: First Postal Service Office opened in India
- 1800: Nana Fadnavis, a noted politician of the Maratha Empire, died in Pune, Maharashtra
- 1808: After the death of Christian VII, Frederick VI becomes King of Denmark, the very next day Denmark declares war on Sweden
- 1848: Prince Clemens von Metertich resigns as the State Chancellor and Foreign Minister of the Kingdom of Austria
- 1878: The Vernacular Press Act came into effect and the next day Amrit Bazar Patrika became an English newspaper
- 1878: Oxford University defeated Cambridge University in their first golf match
- 1897: San Diego State University is established
- 1940: Indian revolutionary Udham Singh shot and killed former Punjab Governor Michael O Dyer in London to avenge the Jallianwala Bagh from the British
- 1944: Italy and the Soviet Union revive diplomatic relations with each other
- 1961: Two female and three male officers of Britain were accused of spying for Russia It was said that he was sending the clues of the country to Russia
- 1961: Landslides killed 145 people in the Soviet Union
- 1963: Arjuna Award was announced for outstanding performance in sports
- 1996: A gunman entered a school in Dunblane, Scotland, and opened fire, killing 16 children and their teacher
- 1997: Sister Nirmala is selected as the leader by Mother Teresa at the Indian Missionaries of Charity
- 1999: Sheikh Hamaz bin Isa Al Khalifa becomes the new ruler of Bahrain
- 2002: Robert Mugave is re-elected President of Zimbabwe
- 2004: Indian sitar maestro Vilayat Khan died
- 2008: NASA’s spacecraft Endeavor safely arrives at the International Space Station
- 2012: 110 people were killed in a collision between an oil tanker and a ferry near Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh
- 2016: Suicide bombings in Ankara, Turkey, killing 37 people
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1899: Dr. Burgula Ramakrishna Rao, the first elected Chief Minister of the erstwhile Hyderabad State.
- 1980: Varun Gandhi, an Indian politician.
- 1978: Kalvakuntla Kavitha, the first woman parliamentarian from Telangana.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1901: Benjamin Harrison, the 23rd president of the United States.
- 1914: Hakeem Noor-ud-Din, first caliph and leader of the worldwide Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.
- 1958: Vallathol Narayana Menon, a poet in the Malayalam language.
- 1996: Emilie Schenkl, the wife of Subhas Chandra Bose.
- 2004: Ustad Vilayat Khan, an Indian classical sitar player.