March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 14 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 14. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 14 March:
- 1653: The Netherlands commander Johann Van Galen defeats the British fleet in the Anglo-Dutch War
- 1728: Jean-Jacques Russo left Geneva for the first time
- 1794: Eli Whitney is granted a patent for the cotton gene
- 1800: Cardinal Barna Chiaramonti Pius VII is crowned as the 251st Pope on March 21 in Venice
- 1826: The General Congress of South American States met in Panama
- 1833: Hobbes Taylor was born the first dentist
- 1834: John Herschel discovers the now open cluster of stars, now known as NGC 3603, from the Cape of Good Hope
- 1879: Albert Einstein, a man of wisdom, was born into a middle-class family in the city of Ulm, Germany
- 1917: The Republic of China ends diplomatic relations with Germany
- 1926: 248 people died and 93 were injured in a train accident in the Latin American country of Costa Rica
- 1931: India’s first spoken film, Alamara, was screened in Bombay (now Mumbai)
- 1941: Britain breaks diplomatic relations with Bulgaria
- 1953: Nikita Khrushchev was elected the first secretary of the Soviet Communist Party
- 1955: Prince Mahendra became King of Nepal
- 1965: Indian film actor Aamir Khan was born
- 1983: OPEC, a group of oil producing countries, cut oil prices for the first time in 23 years
- 1988: Pie Day was celebrated for the first time for Mathematics lovers
- 1989: FWD in place of Peter Botha by South African National Party Clarke was made president
- 1990: Mrs Eartha Pascal Traville becomes the first female President of Haiti
- 1998: Sonia Gandhi becomes Congress President for the first time
- 2004: The Constitution was amended to give legal recognition to private property in China
- 2007: Kargil and Skardu agreed to start bus service in India-Pakistan
- 2008: Victory group acquires UK-based switchgear manufacturer Craig & Derrickar
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1874: Anton Phillips, co-founder of the Philips Electronics Company.
- 1879: Albert Einstein, a German-born theoretical physicist.
- 1899: K. C. Irving, the Founder of Irving Oil Company.
- 1908: Philip Vincent, founder of the Vincent Motorcycle Company.
- 1913: S. K. Pottekkatt, an Indian writer of Malayalam literature.
- 1949: Farida Jalal, an Indian actress.
- 1961: Mike Lazaridis, the founder of BlackBerry Limited.
- 1965: Aamir Khan, an Indian actor, director, and filmmaker.
- 1972: Irom Chanu Sharmila, an Indian poet.
- 1973: Rohit Shetty, an Indian film director, and producer.