March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 15 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 15. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 15 March:
- 1493: Christopher Columbus returns to Spain after his world tour.
- 1729: St. Stanislas Haward is sworn in as the first American elf.
- 1744: French King Louis XV declares war on Britain.
- 1771: The Society of Civil Engineers first met (in London), the oldest engineering society in the world.
- 1818: In the first Seminole War, General Andrew Jackson and his American forces attacked Florida.
- 1820: Maine received 23rd U.S. Accepted as a state.
- 1869: The Cincinnati Red Stockings became the first pro baseball team.
- 1877: The first official Test match of cricket was played in Melbourne, Australia on 15–19 March. Australia won by 45 runs.
- 1892: Jessie W.Reno invented the first escalator.
- 1907: Finland becomes the first European country to give women the right to vote.
- 1934: Kanshi Ram, the founder of Bahujan Samaj Party, was born.
- 1947: Hindu and Muslim conflict started in Punjab.
- 1969: The first helicopter squad in the Indian Navy was inducted into Goa.
- 1978: Somalia and Ethiopia sign a truce to end the Ethio-Somali War.
- 1984: Indian rapper Honey Singh was born.
- 1985: The first Internet domain name symbolics.com is registered.
- 1986: 33 people were killed and 17 were rescued from the rubble after Hotel New World collapsed.
- 1988: For the first time after independence, eight political parties called for a Bharat Bandh.
- 1991: The United States and Albania resume diplomatic relations for the first time since 1939.
- 1999: Aldbjorg becomes the first female defense minister of Lower Norway.
- 2001: Karase re-appointed Prime Minister of Fiji.
- 2003: New generation comes to power in China and Hu Jinto becomes President.
- 2008: Kiran Bedi, the country’s first female IPS officer, was selected for the German honor ‘Animary Medicine’ for her outstanding contribution to prison reform and defense of human rights.
- 2009: International level women wrestler Arjuna Awards Gatika Jakhar won the Bharat Kesari title for the seventh time in a row, becoming the most powerful woman wrestler in the country.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1767: Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States.
- 1860: Sir Waldemar Haffkine, He developed an anti-cholera vaccine that he tried out successfully in India.
- 1901: Vijaypal Lalaram, an Indian wrestling coach.
- 1917: Raj Narain, an Indian freedom fighter and politician.
- 1959: Uday Kotak, an Indian billionaire banker, and the executive vice-chairman and managing director of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- 1983: Yo Yo Honey Singh, an Indian music producer, composer, rapper, pop singer, lyricist, and film actor.
- 1993: Alia Bhatt, an Indian actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 44 BC: Julius Caesar, a Roman general and statesman.
- 1927: Dr. Rahi Masoom Reza, an Urdu and Hindi poet, and writer, and a Bollywood lyricist.
- 1998: Malati Devi Choudhury, an Indian civil rights and freedom activist and Gandhian.
- 2002: Damubhai Zaveri, the founder of the Indian National Theatre.