March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 16 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 16. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 16 March:
- 1527: Babur defeated Rana Sanga in the Battle of Khanwa.Sanga was later killed by poisoning his own confidant.
- 1730: William Charles Henry Friso appointed Viceroy of Darenthe.
- 1815: William I becomes King of the Netherlands.
- 1827: The Freedom Journal, the first African-American-owned published newspaper in the United States, was founded in New York City by John Ruswaram.
- 1831: The Hutchback of Notre-Dame was first published by Victor Hugo.
- 1843: Petropolis city founded by the Brazilian government.
- 1867: An article by Joseph Lister outlining the discovery of antiseptic surgery, first published in “The Lancet”.
- 1883: Susan Hayhurst becomes the first American female graduate of a pharmacy college.
- 1907: The world’s largest cruiser, British Invisible, was built in Glasgow.
- 1910: Birth of I Ftikar Ali Khan Pataudi, the only cricketer to play for both India and England.
- 1922: Sultan Foad became the first Sultan of Egypt, England recognized Egypt.
- 1942: The V-2 rocket was launched, but it exploded at the same time.
- 1961: The NASA Goddard Space Flight Center is officially located in Maryland, US.
- 1966: US launches manned spacecraft Gemini 8.
- 1970: New English Bible is published.
- 1976: The Prime Minister of Britain for eight years and the leader of the Labor Party for 13 years, everyone was shocked by Harold Wilson’s resignation.
- 1989: 4400 year old mummy found in Chipose pyramid in Egypt.
- 1995: NASA astronaut Norman became the first American to visit the Russian space station Mir.
- 2006: The General Assembly of the United Nations voted unanimously to form the United Nations Human Rights Committee.
- 2007: Herschelle Gibbs of South Africa sets a world record by hitting six sixes in an over.
- 2012: India’s master blaster Sachin Tendulkar became the first player to score 100 centuries in international cricket.
- 2013: 24 soldiers died due to a bus accident in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- 2014: The people of Crimea voted in favor of leaving Ukraine and joining Russia.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1559: Maharana Amar Singh I, the Maharana of Mewar, the eldest son, and successor of Maharana Pratap of Mewar.
- 1693: Malhar Rao Holkar, a subhedar of the Maratha Empire.
- 1750: Caroline Herschel, a German astronomer.
- 1751: James Madison, 5th President of the United States.
- 1789: Georg Ohm, a German physicist, and mathematician.
- 1901: Potti Sreeramulu, an Indian revolutionary.
- 1910: Iftikhar Ali Khan Siddiqui Pataudi, the 8th Nawab of Pataudi.
- 1911: Josef Mengele, a German Schutzstaffel officer, and physician during World War II.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 37 AD: Tiberius Caesar Augustus, the second Roman emperor.
- 1945: Ganesh Damodar Savarkar, an Indian freedom fighter, nationalist, and founder of the Abhinav Bharat Society.
- 1946: Alladiya Khan, an Indian Hindustani classical singer.