March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 17 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 17. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 17 March:
- 1527: Rana Sangram Singh of Chittorgarh was defeated by Babur in the First Agra War.
- 1722: William K.H. Friso is appointed Mayor of Darren.
- 1756: St.Patrick’s Day was celebrated for the first time in New York City.
- 1762: The first St.Patrick’s Day Parade is held in New York City.
- 1769: British East India Company bans Bengal weavers.
- 1769: The East India Company imposes several restrictions on the weavers to ruin Bengal’s textile industry.
- 1782: Treaty of Salbai between the Maratha rulers and the East India Company.
- 1824: The Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824 was signed.
- 1906: Around 1200 people died in the Taiwan earthquake.
- 1943: Willem J. Kolff performed the world’s first hemodialysis using an artificial kidney machine, which was unsuccessful.
- 1958: Launches Vanguard 1 satellite of the United States.
- 1959: The Buddhist religious Dalai Lama arrived in India from Tibet.
- 1962: Indian American astronaut Kalpana Chawla was born in Karnal district of Haryana.
- 1969: Golda Mayer becomes Israel’s first female Prime Minister.
- 1990: Saina Nehwal, a batminton player, was born.
- 1992: Referendum was held in South Africa, in which the rule of discrimination on the basis of skin color was abolished.
- 1992: 28 killed in an attack on the Israeli embassy in Argentina.
- 1996: Sri Lanka won the title by defeating Australia by seven wickets in the final of the Cricket World Cup.
- 2004: NASA’s Messenger becomes the first spacecraft to enter orbit around Mercury.
- 2006: The United States declared India a dependable partner.
- 2013: Ten people were killed in a suicide car attack in Basra, Iraq.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1864: Joseph Baptista, an Indian politician, and activist.
- 1887: D. V. Gundappa, a Kannada writer and philosopher.
- 1920: Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, a Bangladeshi politician, and statesman. He is known as the “Father of the Nation” in Bangladesh.
- 1962: Kalpana Chawla, an American astronaut, engineer, and the first woman of Indian origin to go to space.
- 1975: Puneeth Rajkumar, an Indian film actor, playback singer, anchor, and producer.
- 1990: Saina Nehwal, an Indian professional badminton singles player.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1782: Daniel Bernoulli, a Swiss mathematician, and physicist.
- 1956: Irene Joliot-Curie, a French chemist, physicist, and a politician.
- 1957: Ramon Magsaysay, the seventh President of the Philippines.
- 2000: Rajkumari Dubey, an Indian playback singer.
- 2012: Chaleo Yoovidhya, a Thai businessman and investor. He was co-creator of the Red Bull brands of energy drinks.