March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 18 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 18. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 18 March:
- 1773: Oliver Goldsmith’s “That to Win” premieres in London.
- 1801: First Ordnance manufacturing factory established in India.
- 1858: Dutch van der Bruggen resigns from government.
- 1874: A Treaty of Hawaii with exclusive trading rights of the United States is signed.
- 1920: Greece started using Gregorian calendar
- 1922: British court sentenced Mahatma Gandhi to 6 years in prison for treason after the Civil Disobedience Movement.
- 1925: 3,000 buildings destroyed in a fire in northeast Tokyo.
- 1938: India’s famous actor Shashi Kapoor was born. His real name is Balbir Raj Kapoor.
- 1944: Azad Hind Fauj of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose entered India via Burma.
- 1953: More than 250 people died due to an earthquake in western Turkey.
- 1965: Spacewalk for the first time by Soviet Union Air Force pilot Alexey Leonov. Since then, more than 200 passengers have walked the spacewalk.
- 1971: Landslides in Peru kill 200 people.
- 1978: It was decided to hang former Pakistan Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
- 1990: $ 500 million worth of artifacts stolen from the American Museum. The museum declared a prize of 5 million dollars on these thieves. Despite this, nothing of these artifacts was revealed.
- 1997: 50 people died in a Russian plane crash in Turkey.
- 2000: 230 members of the Holocaust Day sect committed suicide in Uganda.
- 2006: The United Nations approved the proposal to set up a ‘Human Rights Council’.
- 2007: Pakistan cricket coach Bob Woolmer is found dead in a hotel bathroom in Kingston.
- 2008: Sunil Bharti Mittal, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bharti Enterprises, became the first Indian to join America’s Distinguished Entrepreneur Academy.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1858: Rudolf Diesel, a German inventor, and mechanical engineer.
- 1867: M. V. Dhurandhar, an Indian painter.
- 1869: Neville Chamberlain, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1881: Waman Gopal Joshi, an Indian-Marathi journalist, playwright, and freedom fighter.
- 1896: Kunji Lal Dubey, an Indian independence activist, lawyer, educationist, and politician.
- 1938: Shashi Kapoor, an Indian actor and film producer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1947: William C. Durant, an American businessman, co-founded General Motors and Chevrolet.
- 2003: Adam Osborne, a Thai-English engineer, and businessman. He founded the Osborne Computer Corporation.