March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 20 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 20. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 20 March:
- 1351: Sultan Mohammad bin Tughlaq of Delhi died.
- 1602: United Dutch East India Company established.
- 1713: Tuscara War: Colonel James Moore’s Carolina Militia launched a major offensive against Fort Neoroca.
- 1739: Nadir Shah captured the city of Delhi in India and stole all the jewels of the Peacock Throne including Koh-Noor.
- 1760: The largest fire in the city of Boston burns and destroys 349 buildings.
- 1816: US Supreme Court affirms the right to review the state’s decision.
- 1819: Burlington Arcade opened in London.
- 1861: The city of Mendona in Argentina was completely destroyed by a powerful earthquake.
- 1876: Taking legal effect through constitutional reform, Louis de Geyer became the first Prime Minister of Sweden.
- 1916: Albert Einstein’s book General Theory of Relatively published.
- 1952: The United States Senate ratifies the peace treaty with Japan.
- 1966: National Film Award winning singer Alka Yagnik was born in Kolkata.
- 1969: US President Nixon announced the end of the Vietnam War in the year 1970.
- 1981: Former Argentine President Isabel Perón was sentenced to eight years.
- 1987: Food and Drug Administration approved anti-AIDS drug AZT. It was the first drug approved by the US government to treat AIDS.
- 1991: Begum Khalida Zia elected President of Bangladesh.
- 1995: 12 people died and 4700 were injured when toxic gas leaked into the underground railroad in Tokyo.
- 1999: Death of noted British abstract painter Patrick Heron.
- 2003: Allied military missile attacks on Baghdad began on this day. The purpose of these attacks started under the leadership of America was to remove Saddam Hussein from power.
- 2014: Journalist, writer and historian Khushwant Singh, who is known for his impeccable comment, died.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1615: Dara Shikoh, the eldest son and heir-apparent of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.
- 1828: Henrik Ibsen, a Norwegian playwright and theatre director.
- 1926: Karpoor Chandra Kulish, the founder of Rajasthan Patrika.
- 1950: Savitri Devi Jindal, an Indian businesswoman.
- 1952: Anand Amritraj, a former Indian tennis player, and businessman.
- 1966: Alka Yagnik, an Indian playback singer.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1351: Muhammad bin Tughluq, the Sultan of Delhi.
- 1413: Henry IV, King of England.
- 1925: Lord Curzon, former Viceroy of India.
- 2014: Khushwant Singh, an Indian author, lawyer, diplomat, journalist, and politician.