March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 21 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 21. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 21 March:
- 1413: Henry V becomes King of England.
- 1788: The Great New Orleans fire kills 25% of the population and destroys 856 buildings including St. Louis Cathedral and Cabadie and converts much of the city into ruins.
- 1791: British army defeated Tipu Sultan and captured then Bangalore.
- 1804: Napoleon Code adopted as French civil law.
- 1836: First public library started in Calcutta (now Kolkata), now named National Library.
- 1844: The Bahá’í calendar is introduced.
- 1857: The disastrous earthquake in Tokyo, the capital of Japan, killed about 170,000 people.
- 1859: Scotland National Gallery opened in Edinburgh.
- 1906: American businessman Jim Thomson, who saved the Thai silk industry, was born.
- 1916: Renowned Shehnai player Bismillah Khan was born in Dumraon, Bihar.
- 1919: Hungarian Republic of Hungary was founded by Bela Kun.
- 1940: Paul Ryanad became Prime Minister of France
- 1954: At the first Filmfare Awards ceremony, only 5 awards were held, in which Do Bigha Zameen won the Best Film Award. The director of this film, Bimal Roy, won the Best Director award. Dilip Kumar (Daag) for Best Actor, Meena Kumari (Baiju Bawra) for Best Actress and Naushad for Best Film for Best Film.
- 1975: The then President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed declared Emergency under Section 352 at the request of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. Which lasted till 21 March 1977.
- 1975: Monarchy ends in Ethiopia after three thousand years.
- 1978: Bollywood actress Rani Mukherjee was born.
- 1990: Nambia gained independence from South Africa.
- 2000: Girija Prasad Koirala appointed as the new Prime Minister of Nepal.
- 2008: Scientists find new evidence of Saturn’s moon Titan being the ocean.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1768: Joseph Fourier, a French mathematician, and physicist.
- 1887: M. N. Roy, an Indian revolutionary, radical activist, and political theorist.
- 1916: Ustad Bismillah Khan, an Indian musician credited with popularizing the Shehnai.
- 1944: Iftikhar Arif, a Pakistani Urdu poet.
- 1970: Shobana, an Indian film actress and Bharatanatyam dancer.
- 1978: Rani Mukerji, an Indian film actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1556: Thomas Cranmer, a leader of the English Reformation and Archbishop.
- 1985: Sir Michael Scudamore Redgrave, an English stage and film actor.
- 2001: Chung Ju-Yung, a South Korean entrepreneur, businessman, and the founder of Hyundai Groups of South Korea.