March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 22 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 22. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 22 March:
- 1739: The invader Nadir Shah allowed his army to massacre in Delhi. The slaughter lasted 58 days.
- 1761: First life insurance policy issued in North America in Philadelphia.
- 1765: Stamp Act passed: Prime Minister George Grenville imposed the first direct British tax on American colonists.
- 1784: The hydroelectric Buddha is installed in the Vat Phra Cave at the base of the Grand Palace in Bangkok.
- 1832: The British Parliament, led by Charles Gray, passed the Reform Act, bringing about a sweeping change in the electoral system of England and Wales, which increased from about 500,000 voters to 813,000 voters.
- 1862: San Marino ends treaty of friendship and cooperation with Italy.
- 1873: Abolition of slavery in Puerto Rico.
- 1882: The deadly infectious disease TB was identified. The scientist who discovered it was later awarded the Nobel Prize.
- 1890: Ramachandra Chatterjee became the first person to get off the parachute.
- 1907: The first taxi cab starts in London with the parameters.
- 1923: Radio broadcast of ice hockey match for the first time.
- 1923: The first radio broadcast of ice hockey was done by Foster Hewitt.
- 1942: Cripps Mission came to India under the leadership of Sir Stafford Cripps.
- 1947: Lord Lewis Mountbatten arrives in India as the last Viceroy.
- 1954: The first shopping mall in Southfield, Michigan opens in the US.
- 1964: First vintage car rally held in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- 1977: Mrs.Indira Gandhi resigned as Prime Minister.
- 1982: NASA takes its spacecraft Columbia on a third mission.
- 1999: Best makeup award for Indian Shekhar Kapur’s film Elizabeth.
- 2002: In Britain a paralyzed woman with a paralyzed throat is given the right to death.
- 2007: Pakistan tests Htf-7 missile.
- 2011: Lawrence Taylor pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct and was banned for six years.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1797: Wilhelm I, the King of Prussia and the first German Emperor.
- 1869: Emilio Aguinaldo, the first and the youngest President of the Philippines and the first president of a constitutional republic in Asia.
- 1908: Tribhuvandas Luhar, a Gujarati poet and author from India.
- 1924: Al Neuharth, the founder of USA Today, the Freedom Forum, and its Newseum.
- 1933: Sayyid Banisadr, the first President of Iran.
- 1935: Kadammanitta Ramakrishnan, an Indian poet.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1832: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a German writer, and statesman.
- 1952: D. S. Senanayake, the first Prime Minister of Shri Lanka, considers as the Father of the Nation.
- 1977: A. K. Gopalan, an Indian communist leader.
- 2004: V. M. Tarkunde, a prominent Indian lawyer, civil rights activist, and humanist leader.
- 2005: Gemini Ganesan, an Indian actor.