March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 23 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 23. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 23 March:
- 1630: French forces capture Pinnerolo Piedmount.
- 1836: Franklin Bell invented the coin printing press.
- 1857: Elisha Otis established the first elevator in New York (488 Broadway, in New York City).
- 1880: John Stevens of Adult designed the dough rolling mill.
- 1910: Great freedom fighter and eminent socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia was born in Faizabad district of Uttar Pradesh.
- 1910: US Congress establishes Sitka National Monument.
- 1919: Benito Mussolini started the fascist movement in Milan, Italy.
- 1922: D.C. of Washington First US Airplane Land Clearance in US.
- 1931: During the Indian independence movement, great revolutionary leaders Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev were hanged.
- 1934: US Congress recognizes the independence of the Philippines in 1945.
- 1950: The United Nations established the World Meteorological Department.
- 1950: The 22nd Academy Awards ceremony was held.
- 1956: Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world.
- 1959: Nine coal miners killed in an explosion in the town of Bramstone, Tennessee.
- 1965: NASA for the first time sent two people to space from Gemini 3 spacecraft.
- 1986: First company of women trained in Central Reserve Police Force.
- 1996: Li Teng Hui was elected as President in the first direct presidential election in Taiwan.
- 2005: An explosion at a refinery in Texas City kills 15 workers.
- 2012: Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar became the first cricketer to record 100 centuries in international cricket.
- 2014: US and EU impose sanctions on Russia.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1699: John Bartram, an early American botanist.
- 1749: Pierre-Simon Laplace, a French mathematician.
- 1855: Kottarathil Sankunni, an Indian writer of Malayalam literature.
- 1880: Basanti Devi, an Indian independence activist.
- 1881: Hermann Staudinger, a German organic chemist.
- 1883: M. Govinda Pai, a Kannada poet.
- 1898: Nalini Bala Devi, an Indian writer, and poet of Assamese literature.
- 1910: Ram Manohar Lohia, an activist in the Indian independence movement and a socialist political leader.
- 1923: Hemu Kalani, a Sindhi revolutionary and freedom fighter.
- 1929: Govind Swarup, a radio astronomer.
- 1968: Meka Srikanth, an Indian film actor.
- 1976: Smriti Irani, an Indian politician, former model, television actress, and producer.
- 1987: Kangana Ranaut, an Indian actress, and filmmaker.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1927: Lala VC, an Indian recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- 1931: Bhagat Singh, Shivram Rajguru, and Sukhdev Thapar, Indian revolutionaries.
- 1938: Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of Patiala, and former Indian cricketer.
- 2011: Elizabeth Taylor, an English-American actress.