March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 25 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 25. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 25 March:
- 1306: Robert Bruce is made the new King of Scotland.
- 1668: Horse racing was organized for the first time in America.
- 1669: A massive eruption in Mount Etna, a volcano on the island of Sisadi, killed more than 20 thousand people.
- 1700: London signs treaty of France, England and Holland.
- 1751: Frederick I of Sweden was succeeded as king by Adolf Friedrich.
- 1753: Voltaire courted Frederick II of Persia.
- 1754: For the first time, the Secret Marriage Act of 1753 was enacted in England and Wales regarding marriage in that jurisdiction on a statutory basis.
- 1807: First passenger rail service started in England.
- 1811: The great comet discovered by Honoré Flaugaraj.
- 1896: Modern Olympic Games begin in Athens, the capital of Greece.
- 1905: Famous Indian politician Mirza Rashid Ali Baig was born.
- 1954: The country’s first helicopter S-55 was launched in Delhi.
- 1988: NASA launched the spacecraft S206.
- 1989: The country’s first supercomputer X-MP14 built in the US was dedicated to the nation.
- 1995: Noted boxer Mike Tyson is released from prison after three years of imprisonment.
- 1999: Declaration by India of exempting visas for eight classes of Pakistani nationals.
- 2001: More than a thousand people died due to the earthquake that struck 100 miles away from Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan.
- 2003: Death of Adam Osborne, the first portable computer maker.
- 2011: The Coinage Bill 2011 provides for imprisonment for seven years for tearing a note or melting a coin.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1920: Usha Mehta, a Gandhian and freedom fighter of India.
- 1932: Vasant Purushottam Kale, a Marathi writer.
- 1937: Tom Monaghan, an American entrepreneur who founded Domino’s Pizza.
- 1947: Elton John, an English singer, songwriter, pianist, and composer.
- 1948: Farooq Sheikh, an Indian actor, philanthropist, and television presenter.
- 1956: Pandit Mukul Shivputra, a Hindustani Classical vocalist.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1931: Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, an Indian journalist.
- 1931: Ida B. Wells, an American investigative journalist.
- 1940: Rajanikanta Bordoloi, a noted writer, and journalist.
- 1975: Faisal, the King of Saudi Arabia.
- 1980: James Wright, an American poet.