March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 27 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 27. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 27 March:
- 1668: England’s ruler Charles II ceded Bombay to the East India Company.
- 1708: Dunkirk, the claimant of James III, removed from the English throne.
- 1709: Herdingwald’s embankment breaks.
- 1782: Charles Watson-Wentworth, Second Marquess of Rockingham, became Prime Minister of Great Britain.
- 1841: The first steam fire engine was successfully tested in New York.
- 1845: Another German physicist and mathematician Velhelm Röntgen was born. He discovered a special ray x ray in 1895 AD.
- 1871: The first international rugby match was played between Scotland and England, which Scotland won.
- 1898: Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, who started modern education for the Muslims of India, died. He founded Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College which later became Aligarh Muslim University.
- 1899: The first international radio broadcast between England and France was done by the Italian inventor G.Marconi.
- 1944: Two thousand Jews are murdered in Lithuania.
- 1961: First World Theater Day begins.
- 1964: A magnitude 8.4 earthquake in Alaska killed 118 people.
- 1977: The world’s most dreaded plane crash when two jumbo planes hit the airstrip in Tenerife, killing 583 people.
- 1982: AFMA Chaudhary was appointed President of Bangladesh.
- 1989: US anti-missile satellite test failed in space.
- 1994: The right-wing coalition of TV tycoon Silvio Berlusconi wins the Italy general election.
- 2002: Passover Massacre:A suicide bomb bomber killed 29 people in Tanya Israel.
- 2003: Russia tests the deadly Topol RS-12M ballistic missile.
- 2008: Spacecraft Endeavor successfully returns to Earth.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1845: Wilhelm Rontgen, a German mechanical engineer, and physicist.
- 1863: Henry Royce, he founded Rolls-Royce.
- 1899: Lakshmi N. Menon, an Indian freedom fighter and politician.
- 1901: Carl Barks, an American cartoonist, author, and painter.
- 1985: Ram Charan Teja, an Indian film actor, producer, and entrepreneur.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1898: Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, an Islamic pragmatist, Islamic reformer, and philosopher.
- 1952: Kiichiro Toyoda, a Japanese businessman. He is the founder of Toyota Motor Corporation.
- 1967: Jaroslav Heyrovsky, a Czech chemist, and inventor.
- 1968: Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet Air Forces pilot who became the first human to journey into outer space.
- 2000: Priya Rajvansh, an Indian film actress.