March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 28 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 28. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 28 March:
- 1561: Akbar invades Malwa’s capital Sarangpur and defeats Bajbahadur.
- 1736: British inventor James Watt is born in Greenec, northern England.
- 1738: Jenkin’s Air War; Parliament requested an address to the king asking him to deal with Spain.
- 1802: Heinrich Wilhelm Matthias Olbers discovers the asteroid Pallas.
- 1806: Washington College (now Washington and Jefferson College) was founded by the Pennsylvania General Assembly.
- 1809: Spain is defeated at the hands of France in the Madeline war.
- 1866: First ambulance is ready for service.
- 1891: The first world weightlifting championship was held.
- 1922: American inventor Bradley A. Fiske patented the microfilm reading device.
- 1930: Many Turkish cities were renamed. From this day, the capital ‘Angora’ was renamed ‘Ankara’ and ‘Constaninople’ was changed to ‘Istanbul’.
- 1941: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, who was under house arrest, escaped from Calcutta to Berlin.
- 1949: United States Secretary of Defense James Forrestal abruptly resigns
- 1959: China dissolves Tibet government and installs Panchen Lama.
- 1962: President Nazim al-Qudsi fled the country after a military coup in Syria.
- 1965: Doctor Martin Luther King marches for the rights of black Americans with 25,000 people in the Alabama capital of Mottgumery.
- 1981: Indonesian terrorists hijack a plane in Thailand’s capital Bangkok.
- 1999: Vince Williams wins the Lipton Cup by defeating sister Serene. This was the first time in 115 years.
- 2005: An earthquake in the island of Sumatra shook the whole of Indonesia.This earthquake was the fourth largest earthquake after 1965.
- 2013: History’s biggest attack on the Internet.Internet speed has slowed worldwide.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1868: Maxim Gorky, a Russian and Soviet writer, a founder of the socialist realism literary method, and a political activist.
- 1927: Dr. Vina Mazumdar, an Indian academic, left-wing activist, and feminist.
- 1936: Amancio Ortega, a Spanish billionaire businessman.
- 1968: Nasser Hussain, a British cricket commentator, and former cricketer.
- 1975: Akshaye Khanna, an Indian actor.
- 1986: Lady Gaga, an American singer, songwriter, and actress.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1584: Ivan the Terrible, the first Tsar of Russia.
- 1941: Virginia Woolf, an English writer.
- 1969: Dwight D. Eisenhower, as the 34th president of the United States.
- 2002: F. N. Souza, an Indian artist.