March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 29 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 29. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 29 March:
- 1549: The foundation of the first capital city of Brazil, Salvador de Bahia.
- 1799: Legislation passed in New York aimed at gradually ending slavery in the state.
- 1806: Rights granted for national road construction (First United States Federal Highway).
- 1807: Heinrich Wilhelm Matthias Olbers discover Asteroid Vesta.
- 1857: In Barrackpore Cantonment near Kolkata, soldier Mangal Pandey launches rebellion against British Empire by firing first shot. This was the first rebellion in India against the British rule, called the military revolt.
- 1913: Famous Hindi poet and writer Bhavani Prasad, who was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award, was born.
- 1929: Indian film actor Utpal Dutt was born.
- 1932: Jack Benny made his radio debut in the US.
- 1953: Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, was conquered by Hillary and Tenzing Norgay.
- 1967: France launches its nuclear submarine for the first time.
- 1973: The United States troops were removed from Vietnam.
- 1988: African National Congress Representative Delsea September is assassinated in Paris.
- 1999: Earthquake in the foothills of the Himalayas killed at least 87 people.
- 1999: US stock index Dow Jones crosses 10,000 mark for the first time.
- 2001: The United States refuses to accept the Kyoto Treaty on Global Warming.
- 2004: Ireland becomes the first country to ban smoking at workplaces.
- 2008: 370 cities of the world started celebrating Earth Hour to save energy for the first time.
- 2014: Andrzej Kiska is elected President of Slovakia.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1790: John Tyler, the tenth president of the United States.
- 1869: Edwin Lutyens, the town planner of Delhi.
- 1918: Samuel Walton, an American businessman, and entrepreneur.
- 1929: Utpal Dutt, an Indian actor, director, and writer-playwright.
- 1939: Jagdeep, an Indian film actor and comedian.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1552: Guru Angad, the second of the ten Sikh gurus of Sikhism.
- 1778: Charles Wesley, an English poet.
- 1943: Laxman Nayak, a tribal civil rights activist of South Odisha.