March is the third month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. It was originally the first month of the year in the Roman calendar and named Martius
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. March 31 has its own special significance in India and world history.
March is the third month of the year in both the Gregorian calendar and its predecessor, the Julian calendar. It was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
March starts on the same day of the week as February and November and ends on the same day of the week as June in common years.
The page contains not only the Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths of each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on March 31. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 31 March:
- 1596: France’s world-renowned philosopher mathematician and physicist René Decart was born.
- 1727: The great physicist Isaac Newton died in London at the age of 84.
- 1736: Bellevue Hospital is established in Alhamhouse, New York City, USA, which was the first public hospital in America.
- 1774: Postal service started in India, first post office opened.
- 1814: Anti-Napoleonic troops occupy Paris.
- 1842: Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch railway line opened in Vernes, North West England.
- 1870: For the first time in America, a black citizen voted.
- 1889: The famous Paris Eiffel Tower officially opened.
- 1917: The US bought the Danish West Indies for $ 25 million and renamed it Virgin Island.
- 1946: First voting in Greece after World War II.
- 1959: Tibetan religious leader Dalai Lama reached the border of India after a 15-day trek from Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. India gave him political asylum.
- 1966: Soviet Russia launched the first Chandrayaan Luna-10.
- 1972: Indian cinema’s famous actress Meena Kumari passed away.
- 1983: A devastating earthquake in the Colombian city of Popayan killed 500 people.
- 1986: All 167 passengers aboard after the crash of Mexico plane 940 died.
- 1990: The country’s constitution maker Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar was posthumously awarded the highest civilian award Bharat Ratna.
- 2008: The ‘Vyas Samman’ of the year 2007 of KK Birla Foundation was announced to Krishna Sobti.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1519: Henry II, the King of France.
- 1596: René Descartes, a French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist.
- 1843: Annasaheb Kirloskar, a Marathi playwright.
- 1865: Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi, the first Indian female doctor.
- 1871: Gangadharrao Deshpande, an Indian Independence activist.
- 1882: N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar, a Member of the Drafting Committee of the Constitution,
- 1934: Kamala Surayya, an Indian poet.
- 1938: Sheila Dikshit, an Indian politician, and stateswoman.
- 1945: Meira Kumar, an Indian politician, and former diplomat.
- 1963: Sujatha Mohan, an Indian playback singer.
- 1972: Evan Williams, an American technology entrepreneur. He is co-founder of Twitter and founder of Blogger and Medium.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1631: John Donne, an English poet.
- 1727: Sir Isaac Newton, an English mathematician, physicist, astronomer, theologian, and author.
- 1972: Meena Kumari, an Indian film actress, and poet.
- 1978: Charles Best, an American-Canadian medical scientist and one of the co-discoverers of insulin.
- 2002: Moturu Udayam, an Indian politician and women’s rights activist.