May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 04 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 04. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 04 May:
- 1493: Pope Alexander VI divided the continent of America between Portugal and Spain, Pope Alexander VI divided the continent of America between the two countries Portugal and Spain.
- 1715: First umbrella opened and closed in Paris.
- 1776: Rhode Island declares independence from Britain.
- 1780: American Academy of Arts and Sciences is established.
- 1799: Tipu Sultan, the ruler of Mysore, was killed by the British at the age of 48 by deception in Srirangapatna, Karnataka.
- 1836: The Ancient Order of Hibernian, an Irish Catholic fraternal organization, was founded in New York City.
- 1854: India’s first postage stamp was officially released.
- 1888: Italy and Spain sign military treaty.
- 1896: First edition of Daily Mail newspaper published in London.
- 1904: United States Army engineers begin work on the Panama Canal.
- 1924: Eighty-eight Olympic Games begin in France’s capital, Paris.
- 1941: Konrad Zeus presented the Z3, the world’s first working program, a fully automated computer, in Berlin.
- 1974: Inauguration of the Expo ’74 World Fair Spokane in Washington.
- 1978: Communist activist Henri Curiel is assassinated in Paris.
- 1979: Margaret Thracher becomes Britain’s first female Prime Minister, still the first and only female Prime Minister of Britain.
- 1983: China conducts nuclear tests.
- 1987: First Bank of America listed as National Historic Landmark.
- 2000: An earthquake kills 54 people in the city of Banggai, Indonesia.
- 2003: Anna Guevera of Mexico set a world record in the Grand Prix 300 meters race with a time of 35. 30 seconds.
- 2008: Noted Indian tabla player Pandit Kishan Maharaj passed away. Kishan Maharaj was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in the year 2002.
- 2013: 5 US soldiers killed in a bomb blast in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
- 2014: Juan Carlos Varela was elected President of Panama.
- 2015: Stuart Bingham won the 2015 World Snooker Championship.