May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world history on May 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 May:
- 1529: The Battle of Ghaghra was one of the famous battles fought in ‘Indian History’. The Ghaghra war was fought between the Mughal emperor Babur and the Afghans. In this war, Babur defeated the fighting Afghans under the leadership of Mahmud Lodi.
- 1589: Mian Tansen, the great scholar of Hindustani classical music, died.
- 1733: First international boxing match played.
- 1757: Battle of Prague: Prussian forces defeated Frederick II’s Austrian army.
- 1840: Penny Black, the first stamp in Britain, is released.
- 1853: A major American rail disaster struck 46 (Norwalk, Connecticut) logos.
- 1911: The first international sanitation exhibition opened in Dresden and attracted five million visitors from the German city.
- 1919: Third Anglo-Afghan War begins.
- 1944: American submarines USS Gurnard attacked Le Ichi convoy, three submarines submerged in water.
- 1967: Zakir Hussain became the first Muslim President of India.
- 1967: Dr. Zakir Hussain was the first Muslim President of India.
- 1976: The devastating earthquake in Friuli, northern Italy killed 989 people.
- 1997: France’s Kristin Janin becomes the first woman in the world to reach the pole.
- 2004: China considers Sikkim as part of India.
- 2007: Nicolas Sarkozy wins France’s presidential election.
- 2010: Ajmal Amir Kasab, convicted for the 26/11 attack in Mumbai, sentenced to death.
Famous birthdays and birth anniversaries on this day
- 1856: Sigmund Freud, an Austrian neurologist, philosopher, and the founder of psychoanalysis.
- 1861: Pt. Motilal Nehru, an Indian lawyer, activist, and politician.
- 1940: Aban Mistry, an Indian female Tabla player, singer, and musician.
- 1951: Leela Samson, an Indian Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer, instructor, and writer.
- 1953: Tony Blair, a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Death anniversaries of famous people in India and the world
- 1589: Tansen, a prominent figure of Hindustani classical music.
- 1862: Henry Thoreau, an American naturalist, essayist, poet, and philosopher.
- 1922: Shahu Maharaj, a Raja and the first Maharaja of the Indian princely state of Kolhapur.
- 1946: Bhulabhai Desai, an Indian independence activist and acclaimed lawyer.
- 1952: Maria Montessori, an Italian physician, and educator.
- 1966: Raghunath Purushottam Paranjpye, the first Indian to achieve the coveted title of Senior Wrangler at the University of Cambridge.
- 1973: Shiv Kumar Batalvi, an Indian poet, writer and playwright.