May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 07 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 07. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 07 May:
- 1663: The first theater named ‘Royal’ opens at Drury Lane in London.
- 1727: Queen Katherine I of Russia orders the expulsion of Jews from Ukraine.
- 1748: French troops win Maastricht in the War of Austrian Succession.
- 1763: Chief Pontiac launches “Pontic Conspiracy” by attacking British forces at Fort Detroit.
- 1771: Samuel Hearn discovers the Copper Mean River of Canada
- 1775: The Turkish state of Bukovina is separated from Austria.
- 1785: French citizen John Pier François Blunshar crosses the English Channel with American citizen John Jeffridge in a balloon for the first time.
- 1832: Greece gained independence, Bavaria was elected emperor.
- 1832: Treaty of London makes Greece an independent state, Otto of Wittelsbach, Prince of Bavaria, is elected king. Thus began the history of modern Greece.
- 1861: India’s famous Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore was born in Calcutta. Rabindranath Tagore was the first person in Asia to be awarded the Nobel Prize.
- 1875: The Treaty of St. Petersburg is signed between Japan and Russia.
- 1907: The first electric tram car was run in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- 1934: Philippines receives largest size pearl in the world.
- 1973: Itanagar was made the new capital of Arunachal Pradesh.
- 1976: Alexander Graham Bell received a patent for his invention, which he named ‘Telephone’ (Tel).
- 2008: Former Russian President Vladimir Putin was sworn in as the country’s 10th President.
- 2008: Dmitry Medvedev was sworn in as the third President of Russia.
- 2010: Chile becomes 31st member of OECD.