May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 10 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 10. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 10 May:
- 1503: Italian explorer and sailor Columbus discovers the island of Kayman.
- 1526: After victory in the first battle of Panipat, Babur entered Akbarabad (Agra), the capital of erstwhile India.
- 1655: British forces capture Jamaica.
- 1744: Louis becomes 16th King of France after Louis 15th’s death.
- 1752: Benjamin Franklin examines lightning conductors with his kite-flying experiment.
- 1768: John Wilkes is imprisoned for writing an article for “The North Briton” in which King George III was severely criticized. This action led to riots in London.
- 1774: Louis XVI becomes King of France following the death of his grandfather, Louis XV.
- 1796: Napoleon defeated Austria in the Battle of Lodi Bridge.
- 1801: Pasca of Tripoli declares war on the United States after hanging on consulate.
- 1810: Rev.Henry Duncan opened the world’s first commercial savings bank in Ruthwell, Scotland.
- 1823: The first steamboat to navigate the Mississippi River came upon fitting snowing.
- 1833: The Le Van Khoi rebellion began against Emperor Minh and Vietnam.
- 1837: The Terror (Battle) of 1837 began in New York City.
- 1857: The first battle of freedom struggle started from the cantonment of Meerut.
- 1857: Indian Rebellion of 1857: Indian fighters started rebellion in Delhi from British East India Company.
- 1893: Imperial Institute opened in London.
- 1908: First Mother’s Day is celebrated during church service in Grafton, West Virginia.
- 1924: J.Edgar Hoover was appointed the head of the Bureau of Investigation.
- 1925: New Zealand Prime Minister William Masi died in office.
- 1934: Revenue Act issued in the United States.
- 1936: Manuel Azana becomes the new President of Spain.
- 1937: The 8th Imperial Conference began in London.
- 1946: Jawaharlal Nehru was elected the leader of the Congress party in India.
- 1993: Santosh Yadav became the world’s first female climber to reach Everest, the world’s highest mountain peak twice.
- 1994: Nelson Mandela sworn in as the first black president of South Africa.
- 1994: Nelson Mandela inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president.
- 2001: More than 120 spectators die due to stampede during a football match in Ghana.
- 2002: Death of famous Urdu poet Kaifi Azmi.
- 2012: 55 people killed and 370 others injured in two bomb blasts in Damascus, capital of Southwest Asian Syria.