May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 May:
- 1459: Rao Jodha founded Jodhpur.
- 1739: John Wesley laid the foundation stone of Bristol, the world’s first Methodist meeting house in New Room, England.
- 1777: The first advertisement for ice cream is released.
- 1777: The first ice cream advertisement (Philip Lenzi-New York gadget) shown on television.
- 1780: British troops capture Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1839: Launches a rebellion against the socialist activist Luis Augusti Blaqui and the Soette des Sassons France’s government.
- 1847: William Clayton invents the odometer.
- 1902: One lakh 40 thousand workers of anthracite coal strike in Pennsylvania.
- 1921: First National Hospital Day was celebrated.
- 1926: Airship Norgay becomes the first vessel to fly to the North Pole.
- 1932: Wilhelm Groener resigns as Germany’s defense minister.
- 1942: Second battle of Kharkov begins.
- 1949: Vijayalakshmi Pandit became the first foreign woman ambassador of independent India.
- 1965: West Germany and Israel establish diplomatic relations.
- 1966: Bush Memorial Stadium opens in St.Louis Missouri.
- 1997: Russia and Chechnya sign peace agreement after 400 years of conflict.
- 2007: During the visit of Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhary to Karachi, 50 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the rioting.
- 2008: An earthquake in Sichuan, China, killed more than 69000 people.