May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 May:
- 1643: Earthquake in Chile kills one-third of total population.
- 1648: Construction of Red Fort in Delhi completed.
- 1666: Under the confederation of Purandar, Shivaji arrives in Agra to meet Aurangzeb.
- 1779: The end of the Bavarian succession war is announced.
- 1830: The establishment of the Republic of Ecuador, Juan Jose Florence becomes the first president.
- 1830: Separated Ecuador from Gran Colombia.
- 1846: Mexican-American War: United States declares war with Mexico.
- 1848: Finland’s national anthem is performed first.
- 1880: Thomas Edison tested his experimental electric railway at Menlo Park.
- 1880: Thomas Edison exhibits his first electric rail in Menlo Park, New Jersey.
- 1899: Esporte Club Vittoria Association Football Club Salvador founded in Brazil.
- 1907: The 5th meeting of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party was held in London’s Gupt.
- 1930: British Labor Ministry lists 1.7 million unemployed.
- 1931: Paul Daumer is elected President of France.
- 1931: Paul Dumer is elected President of France by Parliament.
- 1935: The London horror film Werewolf was released.
- 1950: The first race of the FIA Formula One World Championship was held in Silverstone, England.
- 1952: Session of the first parliament of independent India begins.
- 1962: Sarvepalli Dr.Radhakrishnan becomes the second President of India.
- 1967: Principal educationist Dr.Zakir Hussain became the third President of India. He was the first Muslim President of India.
- 1996: A severe storm and a tornado killed 600 people in Bangladesh.
- 1998: India conducts two nuclear tests at Pokhran.
- 1999: Carlo Ezello Simai was elected President of Italy.
- 2000: Lara Dutta wins Miss Universe title.
- 2001: Silvio Berlusconi wins the general election, becoming the Prime Minister of Italy for the second time.
- 2014: 238 mine personnel killed in an explosion and fire in a Turkish mine.