May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 28 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 28. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 28 May:
- 1414: Khizr Khan captured the throne of Delhi and laid the foundation of the Sayyid dynasty.
- 1674: Germany’s Parliament declares war against France.
- 1704: Battle of Smolniké:The Kuruks rebels defeated the Austrian army and its allies.
- 1716: John Churchill I King of Marlborough was a paralyzed man.
- 1731: All Hebrew books were seized in Popal State.
- 1737: Venus passes in front of Mercury. The event was seen during the royal hours by amateur astronomer John Beviz at the Royal Greenwich Observatory.
- 1754: Battle of Jumonville Glen: The army led by George Washington kills French Canadian officer Joseph Cullen de Jumonville.
- 1826: Pedro-I of Brazil renounces his post as King of Portugal.
- 1838: Broulio Carrillo was sworn in as head of state of Costa Rica, thus beginning his second term in office.
- 1889: Andre Michelin and Eduard merge Michelin Tire Company into one.
- 1892: John Muir Sierra Club organized in San Francisco.
- 1923: American unemployment almost ended.
- 1940: Belgium lost to Germany during World War II.
- 1952: Women get suffrage in Greece.
- 1959: US successfully sends two monkeys into space.
- 1960: American Society for Cell Biology organized.
- 1961: Human rights organization Amnesty International is established.
- 1963: About 22 thousand people died due to cyclonic storm in Bay of Bengal.
- 1971: Soviet Russia launched Mars-3, the first spacecraft to land on Mars.
- 1998: Pakistan conducts its first nuclear test.
- 2008: The 240-year-long monarchy in Nepal came to an end.