May is the fifth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, May was the third month of the year. It became the fifth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. May 31 has its own special significance in India and world history.
There are 31 days in May and it does not start or end on the same day of the week as any other month.
May’s birth flower is the Lily of the Valley and the Crataegus monogyna.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on May 31. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 31 May:
- 1727: France, Britain and the Netherlands sign the Paris Treaty.
- 1727: France, Britain and Netherlands sign treaty with Paris.
- 1728: Royal Bank of Scotland issues its first overdraft (£ 1,000 to Edinburgh merchant William Hogg).
- 1740: Frederick II came to power in Persia after the death of his father, Frederick William I.
- 1759: Banning of all theater programs in the US North Eastern Province of Pennsylvania.
- 1759: All theaters in the province of Pennsylvania ban productions.
- 1774: First Postal Service Office opened in India.
- 1787: The first cricket match is held at the original Lord’s Cricket Ground in London.
- 1793: Regular troops under François Hanroet demand that Girodin be expelled from the National Convention.
- 1807: Primitive Methodist was raised for a full day in the northern midlands of England.
- 1849: The final edition of the Orange Sheet “Journal de la Hay” is published.
- 1868: The first popular bicycle race was held at Paris de Saint-Cloud.
- 1878: The sinking of the German warship SMS Groसरer Karfurst, killing 284 people.
- 1879: The first electric railway exhibition begins at the Berlin Trades Exhibition.
- 1907: First taxi service started in New York City, USA.
- 1921: The flag of the Indian National Congress was adopted.
- 1935: More than 50 thousand people died in Quetta city of Pakistan.
- 1977: A team of the Indian Army ascended Kanchenjunga, the world’s third highest mountain peak.
- 1986: 1986 FIFA World Cup begins in Mexico
- 1994: South Africa becomes the 109th member state of the Non-Aligned Movement.
- 1996: Benjamin Netanyahu becomes the Prime Minister of Israel.
- 1999: Krishna Prasad Bhattarai sworn in as Prime Minister of Nepal. He was the first Prime Minister of Nepal’s first Parliament and the first Prime Minister of Nepal after the restoration of multi-party system.
- 2008: Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest runner, made the world record by completing 100 meters in 9.72 seconds.