November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 06 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on November 06. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 06 November:
- 1740: Samuel Richardson’s popular and influential magazine Pamela or Virtue Awarded book was published in London.
- 1792: Battle of the Gemapps: French army defeated the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1813: Mexico gained independence from Spain.
- 1850: Yerba, Buena, and Angel Islands (SF Bay) reserved for military use.
- 1860: Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States.
- 1885: Third Anglo and Burmese War begins.
- 1913: Mahatma Gandhi led ‘The Great March’ against apartheid policies in South Africa.
- 1913: Mohandas Gandhi is arrested while leading a march of Indian miners in South Africa.
- 1915: The Daily Eastern News Paper, published for the student organization of Eastern Illinois University.
- 1917: The US Atomic Energy Commission tests the largest underground hydrogen bomb canikan in Amwitka Diop.
- 1936: The British biographical film Rembrandt premiered in Great Britain.
- 1943: During the Second World War, Japan handed over the Andaman and Nicobar Islands to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- 1944: Plutonium is produced for the first time at the Hanford Atomic Facility.
- 1945: For the first time a jet aircraft FR-1 fireball landed on an aircraft carrier USS Wake Island.
- 1949: Civil war ends in Greece.
- 1962: National Defense Council is established.
- 1973: NASA astronaut Pioneer 10 starts taking pictures of the planet Jupiter.
- 1985: Bollywood actor Sanjeev Kumar died.
- 1990: Nawaz Sharif was sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 2000: Jyoti Basu stepped down as Chief Minister of West Bengal for 23 consecutive years.
- 2004: Russia ratifies Kyoto agreement.
- 2012: Barack Obama was re-elected as US President.
- 2013: 8 killed and 50 injured in a suicide blast in Damascus, Syria.