November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 08 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on November 08. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 08 November:
- 1661: Sikh religious teacher Har Rai died.
- 1701: William Penn presents the privilege chart.
- 1731: In Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin opens the first library in the North American Colonies of the city.
- 1798: British whaler John Fern becomes the first European to land on Nauru.
- 1830: Ferdinand II becomes king of two Sicilias.
- 1895: German physicist K.Rongton discovered x-rays.
- 1900: Theodore Dreiser’s novel “Sister Carrie” is published.
- 1911: Anhui Province legislature voted to separate from Imperial China.
- 1916: Japanese manufacturer NSK Limited gets approval to manufacture industrial bearings.
- 1920: Famous Kathak dancer Dhanalakshmi aka Sitara Devi was born.
- 1927: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani was born in Karachi.
- 1945: 1550 people died in a ferry accident in Hong Kong.
- 1948: Nathuram Godse confesses to the crime of killing Mahatma Gandhi in court.
- 1965: Abolished capital punishment for murder in Britain.
- 1966: Actor Ronald Reagan was elected Governor of California.
- 1967: The BBC’s first local radio station (BBC Radio Leicester) is launched.
- 1988: A devastating earthquake in China killed 900 people.
- 1990: Mary Robinson is elected the first woman President of the Republic of Ireland.
- 1992: Three lakh people participated in the protest against racism in Germany’s capital Berlin.
- 1998: In Bangladesh, 15 people were given death sentence for killing the country’s first Prime Minister Sheikhmujibur Rahman.
- 2008: Chandrayaan-1, India’s first unmanned space mission, reached the lunar orbit.
- 2013: 6000 people died due to the devastating cyclonic storm in Henan province of the Philippines.