November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 11 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on November 11. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 11 November:
- 1208: Otto van Wittelsbash was elected King of Germany.
- 1724: Joseph Blake (aka Bluesin), highwayman, hanged in London.
- 1725: George Frederick Handel’s opera “Temerleno” premieres in London.
- 1745: Charles Edward Stuart aka Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army entered England.
- 1750: F.H.C.The society, also known as the Flat Hat Club, was built in Rale Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia.It was the first college fraternity.
- 1752: Therese Michelity Academy opened in Vienna
- 1765: Nasser Napes, a French chemist and father of modern photography, was born.He was the first to succeed in taking photographs.
- 1778: Iroquois Indians kill 40 people in the Cherry Valley Massacre in New York.
- 1790: Chrysanthemums introduced from China into England.
- 1818: The Anglo-Chinese College in Malacca (later renamed Ying Wa College) by Robert Morrison.
- 1836: Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru.
- 1839: Virginia Military Institute established in Lexington, Virginia.
- 1852: The new Palace of Westminster opens in London.
- 1865: Thomas Robertson’s “Society” premieres in London.
- 1880: Australian bank robber Bushringer Ned Kelly is hanged in Melbourne.
- 1888: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, a freedom fighter, was born in Saudi Arabia.
- 1889: Washington is declared the 42nd province of America.
- 1930: Albert Einstein is granted a patent for the invention of the ‘Einstein Refrigerator’.
- 1938: Izmat Inou becomes second President of Turkey.
- 1953: ‘Polio virus’ was first identified and photographed at Cambridge University.
- 1973: The first international stamp exhibition started in New Delhi.
- 1982: A gas explosion at the Israeli military headquarters killed 60 people.
- 1985: The first AIDS-themed TV film ‘An Early Frost’ was screened in the US.
- 1992: Women are allowed to become priests to vote for the Church of England.
- 2000: 155 died due to fire in a cable car at Alpine Tunnel in Kaphoon, Austria.
- 2013: 100 people died after being hit by a severe cyclonic storm in Puntland region of Somalia.
- 2014: 58 people died in a bus accident in Pakistan’s Sakhar province.