November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 12 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on November 12. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 12 November:
- 1727: France and Bavaria re-sign secret treaty.
- 1781: The British capture the Dutch colony Nagapattanam.
- 1823: Great North Holland Canal (Amsterdam) opens.
- 1828: Ainowang, the ruler of the Vientiane kingdom, is named and the state is annexed by Siam. During the war, the city of Vientiane was destroyed by Siamese forces.
- 1841: The city of Texas was founded by John Nellie Bryan.
- 1847: British physician Sir James Young Simpson used chloroform for the first time as an anesthetic.
- 1847: Sir James Young Simpson, a British physician, was the first physician to use chloroform as an anesthetic.
- 1870: German company Dresdner Bank is founded.
- 1896: Famous ornithologist Salim Ali was born in Mumbai by the name of Hubbardman of India.
- 1908: Bulgariya declares her independence.
- 1918: After the defeat of the Austrian-Hungry Empire in the First World War and the separation of these two countries, the monarchical governance system in Austria came to an end and the period of democratic governance began.
- 1927: Mahatma Gandhi made his first and last visit to Ceylon.
- 1930: The first Round Table Conference begins in London at Lord Irwin’s initiative. 56 Indian and 23 British representatives participated in it but no member of the Indian National Congress was involved.
- 1936: Kerala temples open to all Hindus.
- 1946: Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, founder of Banaras Hindu University and honored with Bharat Ratna, died in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- 1956: The Zionist regime invades a refugee camp in Rafah Nagar in the Gaza Strip and massacres Palestinians.110 Palestinian martyrs and about 1 thousand people were injured in this ruthless massacre.
- 1970: Around five lakh people were killed in the devastation caused by cyclone ‘Bhola’ in East Pakistan (present Bangladesh) and West Bengal.
- 2001: All 260 passengers aboard an American Airlines plane crash in New York.
- 2006: International treaty ‘Protocol on Explosive Remnants of War’ entered into force.
- 2009: To promote tourism in India, ‘Incredible India’ campaign of Central Government was awarded the World Travel Award-2009.
- 2015: A suicide bombing kills 43 in Lebanon.