November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. November 13 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on November 13. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 13 November:
- 1715: The Battle of Sherifmuer began during the Jerrabet Rebellion on 13 November, the battle being inconclusive but government forces led by the Jacobite army led by the Scottish Earl of March.
- 1789: Benjamin Franklin wrote in a letter to his friend – “Nothing is permanent except death and taxes”.
- 1831: Scottish physicist and mathematician Maxwell was born.
- 1849: Peter Burnett is appointed the first Governor of California.
- 1849: California constitution ratified in a general election.
- 1864: New constitution of Greece adopted.
- 1887: Bloody Sunday conflict ensues in central London.
- 1903: United States accepts Panama independence.
- 1909: A fire at a St.Paul coal mine in Cherry, Illinois, USA, killed 259 personnel.
- 1946: Artificial ice formed for the first time from a natural cloud in Massachusetts.
- 1957: Venice is also flooded by Italy’s Po Valley floods.
- 1960: 152 children were killed in a fire in a movie theater in Emude, Spain.
- 1971: NASA-sent vehicle Mariner-9 circled Mars.
- 1975: World Health Organization declares Asia to be chicken pox free.
- 1985: A volcanic eruption in eastern Colombia killed about 23,000 people.
- 1987: First condom commercials aired on British TV.
- 1993: Farukh Legahari became the eighth President of Pakistan.
- 1997: The Security Council imposed a travel ban on Iraq.
- 1997: Ramji Yousef found guilty of masterminding the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.
- 2014: Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma set a record by playing an innings of 264 runs in an international ODI against Sri Lanka which is the highest run in an ODI innings. He hit 33 fours and nine sixes in his innings of 173 balls.