November is the eleventh month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. The month kept its original name from the Latin novem meaning “nine” which marked it the 9th month of the year in the Roman calendar.
According to Gregory calendar, November 26 is the day number 330 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 331. November 26 has its own special significance in India and world history.
November was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian History on November 26. Read on to know more about this day.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
List of Important Historical events of 26th November:
- 1527: Pope Clemens VII made a pact with Emperor Carol the First.
- 1688: King Louis Fourteenth of France declared war against the Netherlands.
- 1716: First lion shown in Boston in America
- 1741: Franco-Bavarian troops commanded the Maurice of Saxony Hurricane Prague.
- 1764: France prohibited the Jesuit Anord.
- 1784: The Roman Catholic Apostolic Prefecture was established in the United States.
- 1805: The Pontcisille Aqueduct opened in Wales, is 1,007 feet (307 meters) long and 126 feet (38 meters) long.
- 1812: Napoleon Bonaparte’s army begins crossing the Beresina River over two hastily constructed bridges.
- 1825: The first college fraternity was founded in (Kappa Alpha (Union College, New York)).
- 1842: the University of Notre Dame was established.
- 1851: Telegraph connection started between London and Paris.
- 1867: The first customized environment rail car was patented by JB Sutherland of Detroit.
- 1885: The meteorite was photographed for the first time.
- 1894: German mathematician and physicist Henry Rodlak Hertz died at the age of 37.
- 1921: Verghese Kurien, the father of the country’s white revolution, was born.
- 1924: Jasu Patel, Indian cricketer (Indian off-spinner, 9-69 v Aust 1959), born in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India (d. 1992)
- 1928: Lala Lajpat Rai, an Indian nationalist, passed away
- 1948: The world’s first Polaroid camera was sold in Boston, USA.
- 1949: The Constitution of Azad India was signed by the President of the Constituent Assembly.
- 1949: The Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution.
- 1960: Telephone STD service started between Lucknow and Kanpur for the first time in India.
- 1961: Arundhati Roy, an Indian writer, and activist was born
- 1966: The world’s first tidal power plant started functioning at the mouth of France’s Rance River.
- 1967: A cloudburst in Lisbon killed about 450 people.
- 1976: The Warsaw Pact Organization Joint Secretariat was established.
- 1983: Armed dacoits looted 250 million pounds of gold at London’s Heathrow Airport.
- 1989: India’s Congress Party led by then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi loses the general election to an opposition front led by V. P. Singh
- 1990: British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher submitted her resignation to the Queen of Britain.
- 2008: Terrorists attacked many places in Mumbai including Taj Hotel. 164 people died in this attack.
- 2012: Arvind Kejriwal formed a new political party called Aam Aadmi Party.