September is the ninth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, September was the seventh month of the year. It became the ninth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
September was originally September mensis, the seventh month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 30 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 153 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. September 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, September has 30 days. September starts on the same day of the week as December every year.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on September 01. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 01 September:
- 1689: Russia, a country located in Eastern Europe and North Asia, started charging tax on beards.
- 1713: Tuscarora War: Carolina militia led by Colonel Mills returns to South Carolina after success in campaign against Marapunga and Kore.
- 1715: France’s King Louis Fourteen dies after a reign of 72 years, the longest reign of any major European monarch.
- 1763: Catherine II of Russia endorsed Ivan Betskoy’s plan for a founding home in Moscow.
- 1798: Britain signs treaty with Nizam of Hyderabad.
- 1799: Bank of Manhattan Company opens in New York City.
- 1804: German astronomer K.L. Harding discovers Asteroid Juno.
- 1849: California Constitutional Convention held in Monterey.
- 1863: The 6th Ohio Cavary invades Barbis Crossroads Virginia.
- 1866: First Hawaiian daily newspaper published.
- 1878: First female telephone operator started working (Emma Note in Boston).
- 1939: World War II begins with the German invasion of Poland.
- 1947: Indian Standard Time was adopted.
- 1951: The United States, Australia and New Zealand sign the Defense Treaty called the ANZUS Treaty.
- 1956: Tripura was made a union territory after the reorganization of Indian states.
- 1956: India’s largest life insurance company “Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)” was established.
- 1957: 175 people are killed in a Jamaica railway accident.
- 1958: The first COD war started between the United Kingdom and Iceland.
- 1962: A storm in Hong Kong kills 130 and injures more than 600.
- 1964: Indian Petroleum Company Indian Oil Refinery and Indian Oil Company merged to form Indian Oil Corporation.
- 1967: Khmer-Chinese Friendship Association banned in Cambodia.
- 1973: India’s famous film actor Ram Kapoor was born.
- 1976: Cigarette and tobacco advertising was banned on Australian television and radio.
- 1979: Sri Lanka Army Women’s Corps was established.
- 1986: Jordan University of Science and Technology was established.
- 1994: The Irene Republican Army imposes a cease-fire in Northern Ireland.
- 1998: Viktor Chernomyrdin was re-elected as the new Prime Minister of Russia.
- 2000: India’s neighbouring country, China, closed its only route to Nepal via Tibet.
- 2006: Roger Goodell begins his tenure as NFL Commissioner.
- 2008: The appointment of D. Subbarao as the 22nd Governor of the Reserve Bank of India was announced by former Finance Minister P. Chidambaram.
- 2009: Vice Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma was appointed as the new Chief of the Indian Navy.