September is the ninth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, September was the seventh month of the year. It became the ninth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
September was originally september mensis, the seventh month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 30 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 153 BCE to honor Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. September 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, September has 30 days. September starts on the same day of the week as December every year.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in Indian and world History on September 02. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 02 September:
- 1573: Akbar, the third ruler of the Mughal dynasty, won the decisive battle near Ahmedabad and captured Gujarat.
- 1732: Pope Clement XII renews anti-Jewish laws of Rome.
- 1752: Celebrated the last Julian calendar day in Britain and the British colonies.
- 1789: United States establishes its Department of Revenue.
- 1789: Established the United States Treasury Department.
- 1806: Landslides devastate an entire city of Switzerland.
- 1820: The Dooguang emperor succeeded in seizing the throne of the Qing dynasty in China.
- 1833: Oberlin College was founded in Oberlin, Ohio.
- 1843: The Economist newspaper first published in London.
- 1859: Gas lighting introduced for Hawaii.
- 1897: Macaul “magazine was first published.
- 1898: For the first time machine guns were used in battle.
- 1945: Vietnam is declared independent by Communist revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh.
- 1945: World War II ends after Japan accepts defeat. World War II lasted for six years.
- 1946: Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of independent India, was sworn in as Prime Minister of the Interim Government of undivided India.
- 1956: 125 people died due to the collapse of a bridge between Jadcherla and Mehboob Nagar, 100 km from Hyderabad.
- 1969: Withdrawal machine Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) was first introduced to the world in New York City, USA.
- 1990: 79 passengers killed, hundreds missing, after Soviet passenger ship sinks in Black Sea.
- 1991: The United States formally recognized the independence of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- 1992: An earthquake in Nicaragua kills at least 116 people.
- 2005: Hurricane Katrina hits USA.
- 2007: The 11th World Championship of the game ends in Osaka, Japan.
- 2009: Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister and National Congress Party leader Dr. Yeduguri Suspicious Rajasekhara Reddy died in an air crash.