September is the ninth month of the year in our modern-day Gregorian calendar. In older versions of the ancient Roman calendar, September was the seventh month of the year. It became the ninth month when January and February were added to the calendar.
September was originally september mensis, the seventh month of the year in the Roman calendar and consisted of 30 days. Its name was changed during the Julian calendar reform in 153 BCE to honour Julius Caesar.
According to Gregory calendar, the day number is 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. September 03 has its own special significance in India and world history.
In modern times, September has 30 days. September starts on the same day of the week as December every year.
The page contains not only Important historical events but also famous birthdays and deaths each day. Search what happened today in Indian history and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened today in India and world History on September 03. Read on to know more about this day.
List of Important Historical events of 03 September:
- 1709: Swiss’s first major group reaches German colonies.
- 1731: William KH Frisco is made Viceroy of Frisland.
- 1783: The Revolutionary War comes to an end with the Treaty of Paris between the US and Britain.
- 1791: The Parliament of France passed the constitution of the country.
- 1812: The first factory in the world to fill cans opened in London, England.
- 1833: Benjamin H.D. Started publishing the first successful newspaper in the US, ‘New York Sun.
- 1906: India’s famous film actor Prithviraj Kapoor was born in Peshawar (now Pakistan).
- 1914: Prince William of Albania had to leave the country after six months due to the opposition under his rule.
- 1923: Pandit Kishan Maharaj, the legendary tabla player of the country, was born.
- 1939: World War II began with British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin declaring war on Germany and Britain against a radio broadcast.
- 1940: Pyarelal, the famous composer of Hindi cinema, was born.
- 1941: German artillery begins shelling on Leningrad.
- 1943: The Allies attacked Italy during the Second World War.
- 1950: Emilio Nino Farina became the first Formula One World Champion.
- 1971: Qatar gained independence.
- 1984: Around 1300 died and hundreds were injured in South Philippines due to a terrible storm. The wind speed measured up to 185 kilometres per hour.
- 1995: eBay was founded.
- 2011: 13th World Championship in Athletics: Usain Bolt won the 200-meter race.
- 2013: Microsoft bought Nokia for 7.2 billion.
- 2014: More than 200 people died due to floods in India and neighbouring Pakistan.